Friday, January 8, 2010

A mother of nine


I met with Dina and the health promoters of San Juan Opico about our February general medical mission today, and afterwards gave Carmen, who will be cooking the lunches for our big group, a ride home. She told me along the way that she has nine children. Two daughters are nurses, I learned, one son an electrician, another son an airplane mechanic. One daughter is studying business, another has started her own small business. One daughter is finishing up University work for her licentiate as a teacher, and one daughter, the youngest, is in high school. I'm missing someone from the nine, but what a group! Carmen says she's proud of them, and I said that I hoped she was proud of herself, getting all those children through the university.

I don't think there's any need to worry about the quality of our lunches during the medical mission - it's pretty clear that anything Carmen (wearing the pink sleeveless blouse in the photo) turns her hand to will be well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment