Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Gracias


A good retreat always leaves me full of thanks, and this one was no exception. I walked and prayed and journaled and wept my way through the week with Dean Brackley's The Call to Discernment in Troubled Times: New Perspectives on the Transformative Wisdom of Ignatius of Loyola, especially helpful to me because Dean teaches here at the UCA (Universidad de Centro America) and uses his Salvadoran experience throughout. The computer stayed at the Centro Arte para la Paz, and I allowed myself to visit for 1/2 hour each day to check e-mails and post a photo. I was a bit surprised to find how little I missed all those check-ins on e-mail and news. Taking long, slow walks each day, taking photos of the patio (here's an early evening photo), sitting for an hour with the day's gospel, even being present to the occasional interruptions - which always proved to be just the experience I needed - brought me closer to God and closer to El Salvador. Now the challenge is to live out of that inner rhythm, even when the laptop is at hand with all its distractions.

Gracias.

No comments:

Post a Comment